The modern day Sandwich that contains a filling of your choice that is placed between 2 pieces of bread & is enjoyed by billions of people around the world is named after British born John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich which is a town in Kent here in the United Kingdom.
It is said that Lord Sandwich was very fond of gambling & spent endless hours playing cards often not stopping & taking the time to have a meal during his long hours of playing cards. He wanted something to eat that allowed him to continue playing cards without using a fork & without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands. Lord Sandwich came up with a solution, he asked his valet to bring him meat tucked between 2 slices of bread. He became very fond of this form of food. This habit became well known among his gambling friends & started asking for “The same as Sandwich” later calling it just “Sandwich”.
* Lord Sandwich was a great supporter & funder of Captain Cook. To honour Lord Sandwich Captain Cook named islands after him. This including Sandwich Islands which is now known as Hawaii. * Before being known as a Sandwich it was simply known as “bread & meat” or “bread & cheese”.
* First Recorded Sandwich was by the famous Rabbi Hillel the Elder who lived during the 1st Century BC.
* Sandwiches were first considered as a restaurant affair.
* In the 6th – 16th Century people used bread as a plate
* The Sandwich was first introduced to America by Eliza Leslie in her cookbook ‘Directions for Cookery in its Various Branches’, where she has a recipe for Ham Sandwiches
*Sandwiches became popular in America when bakeries started selling pre-sliced bread in the late 1920s & early 1930s. This made sandwich making very easy to create & a portable meal for workers & school children.
Functional Always active
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.